Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Trip to Taos

This is me, in the Plaza of Old Taos
Bruce, on the bridge over the Rio Grande River

The ski lift at Taos Ski Valley,
We learned that Taos is a four letter word for STEEP!


Bruce and I just got home from 5 days in Taos, New Mexico. We'd never been there and it's only about a 9 hour drive from our home in AZ. Taos Ski Valley is beautiful, with lots of snow, and great skiing. Great skiing that is if your not ME! I discovered that when you are of a certain age, and haven't skiied in over 8 years, it's a whole new experience. Bruce just picked right up like he'd been skiing every year. Unfortunately for him, I made it look really easy to ski really badly! I had several good runs on our first morning, then several awful runs (we're talking, falling, getting up, falling, skiing, falling, walking, skiing falling all in one partial run). Because I felt so beat up the next morning, we spent the day exploring Taos, and it's a fun town with lots of history. The following morning, determined not to be a quitter, I joined a ski school class. Alas, it didn't go very well. On my first run, where the instructors watch you ski to determine which group you belong to, I landed smack on my bum in front of all the other students and instructors and had to be helped up. Needless to say it didn't get much better over the next hour or so. Finally, being the gracious loser I am, I told my cute 22 year old, skinny, excelllent skiier instructor, that I felt I had a poor attitude and needed to drop out of the class!! After that the pressure was off, I turned in my skis, met Bruce for lunch, and we spent the following day exploring the whole area. It was loads of fun. I might try skiing again next year, but need to work on my attitude first!! Here are a couple of pictures from the trip.

1 comment:

  1. Looks and sounds like a wonderful trip ... well, except maybe for that attitude thing, which was a hoot! Ü

    ReplyDelete