Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happy Birthday Kansas

Some of you may not have realized that today is KANSAS DAY!! This is Kansas 148th birthday. Growing up in the Kansas public school system, this was a big day to look forward to (of course in the middle of winter in Kansas, there's not a lot else to look forward to). We would draw pictures of sunflowers, the state flower, and cottonwood trees, the state tree. Of course, we sang the state song, "Home on the Range". But to be a fully indoctrinated Kansas child, you sang and in your heart believed this little ditty: "I was born in Kansas, I was bred in Kansas, and when I get married, I'll be wed in Kansas, I'm a Sunflower from the Sunflower State!" Well, I did all of the things I promised in the song, and yet somehow I still ended up living in ARIZONA!! Ah, well, happy birthday anyway, dear Kansas.

1 comment: