Monday, February 9, 2009

The Best Nurses Ever!

I had a little surgery last Friday, and had to stay overnight in the hospital. Even though my surgery was not related to Labor and Delivery, I was taken care of on my own unit, by the nurses I work with. I have to give kudos to just how wonderful my care was. I was brought over after recovery, and there was Nurse "Nacho", who knows more about caring for a surgical patient than I ever will. She made me comfortable, made me feel pampered, and most important of all, Made me Laugh. She and the "other infamous Lisa" decided that while I was in my drug induced state, it would be the perfect time to play a little trick. I had just received a dose of Morphine and had drifted off to "lala land", when someone came in my room, calls out "Mrs. H?", "I have your baby here, are you ready to nurse"!!?? Well let me tell you, as someone who's youngest child is 25, those were words I hadn't heard in a loooooong time. As she came in pushing a crib with a "baby" in it, I was pretty sure, something must have gone veeerrry wrong with my surgery!! As I struggled to kindly tell this lovely volunteer that I thought she had the wrong room, I heard the snickers coming from behind a curtain, and behold, there they were, the culprits, led by the "Lisa's"!! I haven't laughed that hard in years. Needless to say the "baby" was a very realistic doll, who before the day was over had his own name card, and "It's A Boy" balloon. The entire day and night staff had fun with "Bruce Junior" as they affectionately named him. I discovered that laughter truly is the best medicine. My kind and gentle night nurse Helen, took care of "Junior" and I that night, and lovely Maria, took "Junior" to the nursery, for the nursery nurse to care for, so I could get some rest. The next morning, Remarkably Pregnant Ramsey, not only brought back "Junior" so my husband could take a peek, she brought me my favorite coffee (flavored with Hazelnut!!). I have always been proud I work at Baywood, but as a patient, I can tell you you will never find such excellent, compassionate and FUN care anywhere else in the valley. Thank you BAYWOOD BABES!!

PS - Pictures were taken, I'll post them as soon as they are available.

1 comment:

  1. What a great bunch o' gals and so creative! This was an absolute hoot and a perfect aid to a speedy recovery...which I hope you've been blessed to have.

    ReplyDelete