Saturday, February 26, 2011

Books, Books, Books

I've always been an avid reader. I think it may be genetic. My mother and her sister always had a book they were reading, a book they just read, and the next book to be read near them. As I child my mother read to us every night. I still remember "Rebecca of Sunnybook Farm" and "The Five Little Peppers and How They Grew" being read aloud to me. One of the more exciting things for a reader is to find a book so good, it can't be put down. Hours each day must be spent in the book. Once finished, that book must be shared with friends. In the last few days, "Room" was that book. Written by Emma Donoghue, it describes the world of a 5 year old boy who has spent his entire life in an 11' X 11" foot room with his mother. What could be a depressing story is creative and endearing. Though not usually the description of my typical read, it was great. "Jack"'s mother makes a life for him where he is happy and thriving. When their lives are changed, it is remarkable to see the whole world as a brand new experience from "Jack"'s perspective. His mother's struggle is very honest. The book keeps you wanting to know how their lives will play out, and how beautiful the mother-son bond is between them.

If you get the opportunity, buy it or borrow it. I hope you are as drawn in to "Room" as much as I was. Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. ...and it's on its way to my house from Amazon. Thoughts are on the way;) Man Booker winners are awesome, Life of Pi being one of my favorites...speaking of which Yann Martel just recently put out a short book called 'Beatrice and Virgil' that you should definitely read - Beatrice is a donkey and Virgil is a monkey; enough said:D

    ReplyDelete